Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Things I Said I Would Never Do As A Mom

Since , becoming a mom I have caught myself time after time doing things that I thought I would never do , but am totally doing..So, never say never!

Here is what I thought I would never do:

1. Owning a Mini-Van- This was something that I ALWAYS said I would never do. However, that quickly changed when I realized how much stuff a baby needs when traveling. Plus, when we travel we bring Lilly, her crate, and both our golf clubs. The first time we traveled with Harper we had no extra room in my 4runner. So, we decided to explore our options and chose the Toyota Sienna. Hey, do not hate on the minivan until you try it. I promise you will fall in love with the automatic doors/ trunk, sunroof, and 20 inch TV.

2. Making my own baby food- This is something I never thought I would do. See, I am all about buying items to make my life easier and to me I thought this seemed so impractical. I mean, who has time to make baby food :). However, when I received the Baby Bullet as a gift, I realized that it was pretty neat. It is cheap and easy to use. For instance, one whole sweet potato last a week and half and only takes 5 minutes to make. So, I think I am going to keep making my own until it becomes a hassle.

3. Having Harper out past her bedtime-We take Harper everywhere with us. Mostly because we do not live near any of our family and at 5 months I am not comfortable with Harper being watched by some of my old students. So, we have decided to just take her out with us meaning dinner. Normally, she is always sound asleep so she is unaware we are out but I do sometimes get this vibe that others do not approve that we have her out so late (meaning until 10 ). I used to judge those parents and now I completely understand.

4. Taking Harper to fancy restaurants. I always used to say how annoying it is that parents bring their babies to an upscale resturants . However, since having Harper she has been to many of those restaurants where children are not really wanted. The nice thing is that at Harper's age most people do not even notice her , since she is always asleep or quiet.

5. Having Harper sleep in our room (in her co-sleeper).  I always was very opinionated over parents having their children in their room past 1 month. That too changed when I had Harper. I realized that it is not as easy as you think. Personally, I never had a hard time (emotionally) with Harper being moved to her crib it was just me being lazy. It is so much easier to have her in the co-sleeper , so if she needed to be feed all I had to do was turn over and feed her. Now that she is sleeping until early morning hours it is not as hard. She is currently sleeping half in our room and half in her's. Hopefully, when all our summer travels end we will establish a better routine.

6. Leave the house without a shower or putting makeup on. This is something that I NEVER thought I would do. I am not a vain person , but I do like to look decent before leaving the house. Well, that has changed a little. Now days, I catch myself grabbing a baseball cap and my workout clothes to go to  run errands. I sometimes even realize after I have been out all day that I had milk stains on my shirt from where Harper spit up.

7.  Treating a trip to the grocery store like its a night out on the town. Yes, going alone to the store has become something that I have really started to enjoy. Instead of rushing through the aisles I find myself actually reading labels and taking my time.

8. Talk about gas and poop. I was always raised to not say these two words because they were not "lady" like. However, that went out the window the minute I had Harper. Anytime she has an upset stomach everyone is always talking about gas and what not.

I am sure that I will have many more things to add to this list as time goes on but as for now these are the main things I thought I would never do!! Boy was I wrong :)

No comments:

Post a Comment